A portion ... what is it?
Ah the portions! When it comes time to prepare snacks or meals, many wonder how much is in a serving. Easy, the right serving size depends on the hand. Trust your hands, they grow with you and can therefore give you the most correct and healthy portion for you. How? 'Or' What ? Read my article!
The hand as a measuring instrument
Unfortunately, all of this is all too true: we usually tend to eat everything in the dish, no matter how much or how hungry we are. Researchers at Cornell University in the United States have proven it! It is not the feeling of satiety (being full) that decides when to stop eating, but the eye. A simple empty plate means it's time to stop eating.
So most of us make a simple misjudgment and don't know what portion to eat. These researchers have discovered a super simple tool, always available and personalized to each of us!
The hand is the best unit of measure! The hands grow with us, vary in size depending on whether you are male or female and are absolutely individual. Small children have small hands and therefore this determines the ideal portion for children. Older children have bigger hands - and even more appetites. So every hand is suitable for every stomach ... great isn't it?
So how do I use my hands?
Portions - with your hand:
- For snacks, one serving is a handful of noixOr Dried fruit, just to fill the palm of one of your hands.
- For nut butter, it should be the size of your two thumbs stuck together.
- Vegetables can always be two hands full.
- The fruits should be in one hand.
- The legumes cooked should be the equivalent of your closed fist. For pasta, rice or potatoes, two hands as a main course may be sufficient. For the side dish, only a handful are recommended.
- For meat, fish and poultry, the serving size should only match the palm of your hand, ignoring your fingers.
These images, taken from Ontario's Guide to Healthy Eating, are particularly helpful in my opinion.
So, do you know your own portions better now? Remember, the most important thing is to choose foods in their most natural form to ensure the best possible quality and delicious taste!
And you, which snack do you prefer?
Please feel free to comment and share this article if you liked it!
- Hippocrates Food