Spicy chickpea patties
Traditionally served as a tapas dish, this popular Spanish recipe was too good to share! So here it is served as a main course! You can accompany it with romesco sauce, with pita bread or with fresh or grilled vegetables.
Spicy chickpea pattiesMakes 4 servings
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 35 minutes
3 / 4 cup of organic dried chickpeas
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 gousses d'ail hachées
1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons of ground roasted cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of harissa
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 flax egg
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup olive oil
½ cup of sauce Romesco
- Cover the chickpeas with water and let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, season with pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bay leaves, cumin, chickpeas and add water to cover by 1 inch. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender and all the liquid is cooked through so that they are almost dry. If the beans are cooked but seem too soft, increase the heat and boil to reduce the juices to a glaze. It doesn't matter if they start to brown a bit. It adds extra flavor. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times to roughly chop them. Add 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour, harissa, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, parsley, coriander and flax egg then mix. If the mixture seems a little wet, add a tablespoon or two of chickpea flour.
- Pour the rest of the chickpea flour on a plate. Form the chickpea dough into 8 balls; roll in the chickpea flour to coat them well; then form patties 3 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Place on a wire rack and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm.
- Preheat the oven to 200F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpea patties and cook on each side for 5 minutes or until crispy, golden and heated through, adding an additional tablespoon of oil when turned over. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Serve with Romesco sauce and a refreshing salad that contains cucumbers, arugula, tomatoes and green onions. Also delicious with romesco sauce and zucchini pasta!
President Hippocrate Bio
- Caroline Bisaillon