Greek meal salad
Benefits of chickpeas
Chickpeas are an excellent source of folic acid, fiber, and plant protein, which are important for overall health.
People with anemia can eat chickpeas to increase their iron intake. It is one of the main components of this legume.
Chickpeas are also a great source of potassium and are great for improving circulation and regulating blood pressure. They are recommended for those who suffer from high pressure. They also prevent rheumatism, arthritis but also cramps.
Diabetics can consume chickpeas and enjoy their benefits. Indeed, they provide a lot of zinc and allow the body to assimilate and store insulin.
How to prepare dry chickpeas?
Dried chickpeas are cheaper, but require to be soaked overnight before cooking for 1 to 2 hours.
Here's how to prepare them:
- Rinse the chickpeas in cool water and soak them for at least 12 hours in cold water. They will have swollen and lose their skin which will come off totally or partially from the chickpeas. Discard the soaking water. Remove the skins then rinse them.
- In a large saucepan, place the chickpeas and cover with cold water. Cover, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for 2 to 3 hours, until a fork pierces them easily.
Cooked chickpeas will keep for one to three days in the refrigerator and about three months in the freezer. Drain them well, then store them in portions of 250 to 500 ml (1 to 2 cups).
You can then use them to make humus, eat them in salads, integrate them into a curry and many other nutritious and delicious recipes!
Makes 4 servings
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) Olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Dijon mustard
- 2,5/1 teaspoon (2 ml) dried oregano
- 4 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 English cucumber, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 80 g (1/2 cup) red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pitted black olives in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup of cooked organic chickpeas
- Pepper to taste
- In a salad bowl or large bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients with a whisk.
- Add the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Dirty and pepper. Put the salad in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: To make the onion softer, soak it in a bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes
President Hippocrate Bio
- Caroline Bisaillon