All green spring soup
I love using fresh, seasonal ingredients to make soup. They are more affordable in addition to being at their peak of nutritional value! So we encourage our local producers and we will get good fresh vegetables from Quebec.
A little fresh thyme enhances the flavor of this very smooth soup. If you don't have one on hand, feel free to use other fresh herbs. Herbs not only add flavor, but they are also very rich in nutrients.
For the silky smooth texture without dairy, I used cauliflower and cashew milk.
For the cheesy flavor, I like to use nutritional yeast. It also comes with tons of benefits.
All green spring soup
Makes 6 servings
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups of broccoli florets
2 cups of cauliflower florets
14 to 15 asparagus stalks, ends cut and coarsely chopped
3,5 cups vegetable broth / water
½ cup of milk cashew or milk of your choice *
¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional - for a cheesy flavor)
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves *
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano / mixed dried herbs
Ground black pepper
Sliced mushrooms and organic natural almonds tapering
- In a large pot, brown the garlic and onion in the oil.
- Add all the vegetables and broth.
- Simmer over low heat until a fork easily passes through the vegetables.
- Mix everything until smooth with a mixer foot.
- Add the cashew milk, herbs, pepper, nutritional yeast and stir.
- You can add more broth or milk to further refine the soup if you prefer.
- Take a taste test and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushroom slices in a little oil and ground pepper. Put aside.
- Place the soup in bowls.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, sautéed mushrooms and slivered almonds if desired.
Use herbs of your choice and milk of your choice. (I love coconut milk) You can add more liquid if you prefer a less thick soup. Skip the nutritional yeast if it's not available or you don't like the taste. If you don't have a blender foot, after cooling, transfer to a food processor or blender to blend until you get a smooth puree.
President Hippocrate Foods
- Caroline Bisaillon